Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Everything must go


We had our yard sale that I've been planning all summer on Labor Day weekend. The weather cooperated nicely, as I had arranged. I advertised on Craig's List and Pat put up a few signs, only some of the arrows were pointed the wrong way and I don't think he got the coverage I wanted. But no matter, people started showing up at 830 (I had said 10) starting with Professor So and So, who was looking for books and was disappointed when I wouldn't sell them as cheap as he wanted to buy them. I didn't believe for a minute that he couldn't re-sell them for more than twice, maybe multiple times what I was selling them for. Winter came on Saturday with some antique dolls from her grandmother's estate, and was very happy when several people bought some. I sold my junk for cheap because I was trying to get rid of it. Some popular items were the men's western style shirts from my uncle, the mystery novels from my mom, and the baby clothes. I even had someone try to buy the hammer and nails I was using to put up signs.
We had the sale in the driveway and Wilson came and kept me company for a lot of the time. The neighbors across the street had a "mini yard sale" and one of the kids circulated through fairly often on his bicycle, seeing if we had anything new. We didn't, but I went over to theirs and found a couple of mystery novels that looked good. I must have sold about half to two thirds of my junk by Sunday afternoon, so I decided that was good and put a tarp over it in the driveway. Pat and I were getting ready to go to the movies and see "Balls of Fury" when Wilson called and was wanting to know what my plans for the stuff in the driveway was. I said I was taking it to Goodwill and he offered me $50 for it, only he just had $40 but he was going to borrow $10 from Ann. I tried to talk him out of it but he wouldn't listen, and the next morning he had Phyllicia hauling it into his house while he sat in the chair in the driveway looking like Lord of the Manor. I gave the $50 to Mary Ellen and told her to use it for the dump fees when they have to haul it away later. She said that was the plan, when he dies it's all going to the dump. They could have one huuuge sale with all the stuff in that house. Too bad a lot of it's junk, now including my junk. I feel so guilty. But not really, because it made him so happy to have it. I figure at 87 he can do whatever he wants. Ann said he spent 12 hours in the tub last week. He just lets some of the water out and puts more hot in when it gets too cold. He has a TV in there so he's not bored.

No comments: