Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Zarking Vogons!


I called the immigration call center asking about the status of my application. The polite Vogon told me how I could keep track of things on the web, and he said they're working on applications from June, and they probably haven't even opened mine yet. According to the website, it will take a month and a half, at least. And he recommended that I not travel during that time because they'll give me crap at the border, and I should carry my Papers, but that might not be enough. Great. The trip to Seattle this weekend will probably be my last for a while. Serves me right to procrastinate, but then I didn't know if I had a job or not, so I couldn't really do it much sooner, not that would have made a difference anyway. Then I finished filling out the online form for the Nexus pass, and I have to check that website periodically to see when they've processed my application and I can schedule an interview. They don't notify you of anything, you have to check. Finally, I went to my bank and deposited my paycheck, and opened a savings account so I can start saving for Mon Oncle. He's Uncle Sam's Canadian brother. The nice Vogon was showing me on her screen, and somehow it got disconnected so we had to use another computer, and they let me come behind the counter to do it. I've never gotten to do that before.

On an unrelated note, I always thought Kurt Vonnegut wrote "Venus on the Half-Shell" as Kilgore Trout. Not so! It was Philip Jose Farmer, and from what I read, KV was not too happy about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilgore_Trout

No comments: